Rockville was platted in 1856, and named for granite rock formations on nearby streams. A post office has been in operation at Rockville since 1857. Levi Gaylord was selected as the first Postmaster. The Government selected Newton Smith on June 6 1861.
Rockville is part of the ROCORI school district, which is an acronym for the 3 towns that make up the district (ROckville, COld spring, and RIchmond)